Friday, January 25, 2008

The Perfect Snow


In rural Southwest Alabama, we rarely get snow. When we do, the whole world stops dead in its tracks. To us, snow can only mean one thing – we must stay put wherever we are, or get somewhere as soon as we can and stay there. None of us know how to drive in snow, and even less about icy conditions. That is why this Saturday was the perfect snow. It was a long weekend. Some of us had plans to go somewhere – which were promptly cancelled. It was Saturday, so the majority of us were not going to work anyway. It couldn’t have happened at a nicer time. We were prepared for a leisure pace already, just by virtue of it being Saturday. We were not yet out of our cozy pajamas when the snow started. In fact, I didn’t get out of my cozy pajamas until the next day.
Like most of us, I had plans for the holiday weekend. I was going to a very special birthday party for a friend turning 50. She had gone to a lot of trouble to plan an interesting party. We were going to the local ceramics shop and make her a commemorative set of dishes. She had her color scheme all outlined. We were each going to make her a plate for a present. She was going to design the platter and have us all sign it.
I was also going to travel to Georgia to visit my sister. Since I am in the tourism business, we were going to get out and scout some of the rural areas around Milledgeville where she lives. I told her to plan something fun. Her reply was “All we have to do to have fun is walk out the door.” That is the truth. I look forward to visiting with her. So much for all those plans….
Instead, I just kept on my satin, flannel lined “I Love Lucy” striped pajamas and my fuzzy mohair socks for the duration. I say duration because the snow only lasted one day. That is what made it perfect. I happened on a holiday weekend and was of short duration. Needless to say, I didn’t go out to play in the snow in my Lucy pajamas. I watched movies I had recorded. I read a good book. I made a bubbling pot of chicken and rice that I turned into a casserole with almonds. I sat by the fireside. I had a memorable nap, my first in months. In short, it was the perfect day. I kept a kettle of tea warm on the stove. The nearest I came to the outdoors was to take a picture of my snow swept garden out of the window. It was a gray, gloomy day that just begged for solitude. I think my soul almost caught up with my body. I listened to classical music and the programming of National Public Radio. When Garrison Keillor talked about the cold, I was right there with him. I was just glad that I didn’t have to get out and shovel snow.
The next day turned off beautiful and bright. I hoisted out my fur coat because it was still cold. We don’t have a lot of use for fur coats around here because generally, a sweater and jacket are enough. They are so much trouble. A fur weighs a lot. I do like them. I am not one of those people who has an attitude about wearing animals. My fur coats have generally had previous owners. I am very fond of vintage furs. The way I look at wearing fur is that if I wasn’t wearing it, those little critters would have given their lives in vain. Apparently, a lot of people in my church share similar feelings, because we looked like a bunch of Eskimos at the Methodist church. It’s hardly worth it. We run to the car in our furs, then dash into the church. When we get in, we discard the furs. When we get into the sanctuary, we either have to sit on them, or bother the person in the pew in front of us, or wear the heavy thing. Some vanities just may not be worth it. None of us would want furs anyway unless we had seen movie stars draped in them on the silver screen.
Speaking of the silver screen, a cold weekend is the perfect time for movies. It’s also the perfect time for reading, visiting by the fireside and just letting your soul catch up with your body. It’s a gift from the Universe that we are just too busy to give ourselves – the gift of relaxation and coziness.

No comments: