Monday, July 21, 2008

TO EAT OR NOT TO EAT?


I joined Weight Watchers for the first time in my life. I might have needed to before now, but in the past I could knock off the pounds with a little self restraint and a little willpower. I knew I had some pounds to shed, but I do so love to eat! When Weight Watchers scales put the amount I had to loose at only 16 pounds, I didn’t worry too much. I thought that was hardly any challenge at all. The first week I lost 1 ½ pounds. Since then, nothing. Of course, I have been traveling and enjoying every mouthful. At least I haven’t gained!
I’m sure the same could be said by any food lover anywhere, but we have so much good to eat around here. Yesterday we had boiled peanuts for the first time this year. Really good boiled peanuts are made from the green kind fresh picked off the peanut plant, not ones that are already dried, and then resuscitated. The boiled peanuts they sell in truck stops bear as much resemblance to the fresh picked kind as an olive to a truffle. One of the best things about a truffle is the earthy scent. The same is true of the green peanut. It has the same earthy quality as a good fresh potato. Another thing wrong with the commercially sold boiled peanuts is that they are usually over salted, which ruins the delicacy of the flavor. Boiled peanuts to the people of rural Southwest Alabama are a rare treat. I served them to a friend who grew up in Northern Louisiana. He just can’t get the hang of their charm. He prefers them parched. I really didn’t care that he didn’t want many, because there were two of us boiled peanut connoisseurs on hand and it wasn’t a large pot full. I ate the remaining ones for breakfast this morning. I have never been a conventional breakfast eater. I’ve always preferred a sandwich or leftovers to eggs and bacon.
We do have some great traditional breakfast foods here in rural Southwest Alabama that I do enjoy – the heavily smoked local Conecuh Sausage and tomato gravy. This is the time of the year for fresh tomatoes. Garrison Keilor said it best “Two things money can’t buy – true love and homegrown tomatoes.
Tonight for supper, I am having some homegrown tomatoes. I’m going to chop them up over hot pasta with good pesto sauce and extra garlic. It’s also grilling time in the summer, so I am grilling pork chops. I found some rutabagas already cut up at the grocery store, so we’re having those, too. There is leftover banana split pie. I bet very few Italians have had cornbread with their pesto but we’re liable to do that as well. After all, I don’t have to weigh again until Thursday. Food is just too good! Maybe I won’t gain any weight, if I can’t loose and still eat!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Philosopher,

We found a wonderful recipe for breakfast bread. It contains grated zucchini and oatmeal, along with 16 other ingredients. The bread turns out to be a wonderful way to use that zucchini that someone put in our mail box. Beside that bread, all one needs for breakfast is two cups of coffee.

I hear the coffee perking for a second cup ... or is it the third?

Hip Pocket Traveler