Monday, April 28, 2008

JEWELRY SALE TIME



In rural Southwest Alabama, we love our bargains. Some of the best are to be had at the Hospital Auxiliary Jewelry Sales held by the local hospitals. You never saw such fabulous fakes for sale at $5.00 a piece. I’m sure you have passed some great fake places in airports or in malls as you have traveled. I guess these are the remainders from the importers of those places or something like that. They do not look cheap, they just are.

I have friends who have fine diamonds, but who choose to wear these pieces instead. I have one church friend who is a very conservative person whose real jewelry would never call attention to itself. However, because the rest of us have such fun with the fakes, she’s started to wear them, too. She comes to church with a whole set of large stones on her fingers. She says her husband won’t let her wear them unless he’s along as a body guard. She will let her hands fall to her side as if the jewels are too heavy to carry.

Another friend kept wearing her fabulous fakes so well that she embarrassed her husband into giving her a 4 carat real diamond. She was wearing the fakes around and bragging on them. One lady admired her large ring and was told it wasn’t real. They admirer said “I wish you hadn’t told me”. The husband surprised his wife with the real thing so she’d quit wearing the fakes and bragging about them. I guess he figured he’d give her something the really brag about. Frankly, most of us think having the real thing would be a waste of money when we can play with the fakes and discard them when we’re tired of them.

I am very partial to throw away watches. I have one that is real gold that I bought on sale at a national discount place. The band broke. I was going to have it repaired, but it was going to cost a couple of hundred to do it. I decided to put it in a drawer and just wear throw a ways from the jewelry sales.

There are two hospitals in the area that each has sales, but they use different companies. We have a lot of variety to choose from. One sale is this week and the other is next week. I can’t wait to see what is available. One of the auxiliaries has told their company to bring some new stuff because they have the same customers every time and they want something different. I think that’s real nice of them to provide such good customer service!

Well, I better run. I want to get to the sale before all the good stuff is gone!

No comments: