Monday, December 3, 2007

Official Start of Christmas

It’s official. Christmas has come to rural Southwest Alabama. It started Sunday with the first activity in Demopolis for their annual Christmas on the River week. They have something going every day and night this week. The first activity was a choral concert by the Demopolis Singers. They are a group of volunteers who perform under the direction of Clyde Williams who just happens to be a Julliard graduate. I know that surprises those of you who think of us down here is not wearing shoes very often. Although I am very much in favor of a shoeless lifestyle, I also love culture. I am part of the Demopolis singers, even though I live in Thomasville, 45 miles away. I am a tagalong. The real singer is a friend of mine who wanted company on the ride. My original intent was to go hang out with my friend Cindy while he practiced. Somehow, they needed another soprano, so I ended up singing in a funny suit that looks like I should be carrying a tray with champagne glasses on it. To tell the truth, I really enjoyed it. It’s not every day that we can work with a Julliard led chorale. I sing in the local church choir where one member it under 40. The average age of the rest of us is almost AARP qualified. Our director is also the organist/pianist. He is a very talented musician, but I am not sure he can always hear what is going on. We are sort of like his backup singers. The truth is – our claim to fame is the fact that we robe up every Sunday. We are adequate for serving the Lord in a routine sort of way, but for real enthusiasm, you’d have to look elsewhere. You’d fund that enthusiasm in the Demopolis Singers.
Being part of a group that belts out carols is a good way to lead off the season. There are lots of things going on around here for the holiday. There are several tours of homes in the area including ones in Marion, Monroeville and Coffeeville this weekend.
There is a candlelight tour of the public antebellum homes in Demopolis Thursday night. There is a barbeque cook off Friday night and an illuminated boat parade on Saturday night. There are other activities going on during the day. A visitor could spend this whole week in Demopolis and not get bored. There are a number of family oriented activities going on.
As we drove back from Demopolis last night, I noticed Christmas lights beginning to sprout up all along the way. I hear some people complaining that it’s too early, but I just love it. To me, Christmas is a celebration of life and joy. There are positive uplifting things on television every night. The stores are playing carols. Homes grand and humble are decorated. Even the most humble abode is beautiful when outlined with lights. It’s beginning! Merry Christmas, Ya’ll!

No comments: